20 May 2012

Banana Cranberry Oatmeal Muffins

Time for another new recipe I tried!  This time, it came about not through browsing Pinterest, like most of my other recipes, but instead, me wanting a twist on plain old banana muffins/loaf/cake.  I didn't want to make a cake, and every time I use cake batter in muffin tins, it comes out too dry.  So I decided to google a recipe for banana muffins, but not plain old boring ones either.  I wanted something different.

So I found a recipe for cranberry banana muffins.  And it sounded yum.  Only issue was, I had no idea what "flaked bran cereal" was, yet I had seen recipes for oatmeal banana muffins.  I figured oatmeal and banana went together ok having read that, so I substituted oatmeal (aka dry porridge/rolled oats) for that.  


INGREDIENTS
1 & 1/4 cups flour (you can also use wholemeal)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar (or 1/3 cup if you prefer it not so sweet)
1 egg
1 cup milk
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1 & 1/4 cups oatmeal (aka rolled oats/dry uncooked porridge)
1/2 cup dried cranberries

METHOD
  • Preheat oven to 180ºC
  • If not using a silicone muffin tray, then lightly grease a muffin tin, or line with cupcake liners
  • In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt
  • In another bowl, whisk together egg, sugar, oil, milk and bananas
  • Stir in oatmeal
  • Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until just blended
  • Stir in cranberries
  • Divide evenly among prepared muffin cups
  • Sprinkle with a little raw sugar on top - gives a nice crunch, but this is optional
  • Bake for 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the centre of a muffin comes out clean
  • Leave muffins in tin to cool, then remove to a rack to cool completely (or serve warm)
This recipe with these measurements made (for me) 12 ordinary size muffins and 12 mini muffins.  However, since I was hesitant to overfill the muffins, they were quite small and dense, and didn't rise much.  Next time I will fill up the muffin cups a bit higher.  :)  


As for the flavour, it was amazeballs!  The cranberries soaked up the liquid, they became sweet and juicy, the banana was good, and the raw sugar I had sprinkled on top gave a delicious crunch to it.  The oatmeal and banana made the muffin nice and dense, which will be great for lunches/morning tea.  Definitely a keeper!!!

Recipe Inspiration:  http://www.sevenspoons.net/blog/2006/1/13/plain-january-jane.html?lastPage=true#comment18152293

No comments:

Post a Comment