1 September 2012

Homemade Lemonade

Now here's something I haven't done before; making a drink on my foodie blog!  The neighbour (who is never home, only comes home once every now and then to mow the lawns) has a massive lemon tree, which is laden with fruit.  A LOT of fruit.  And I want to use it.  We also have our own, smaller, tree.  I used a mixture of lemons from both.

Normally we can take lemons down to a local place who give us cordial, lemon curd and such in return, but this time I want to make something with it.  Right now I already have a 
Lemon Yoghurt Loaf in the oven, sans blueberries, using up some lemon.  But I still had tonnes left over.


I always saw the stereotypical little lemonade stand selling cups of lemonade for 50c in movies and things, and wondered, surely it must be easy to make the stuff?  So I did!

INGREDIENTS
1 cup sugar (can reduce to 3/4 cup if you don't want it as sweet)
1 cup water (for sugar syrup)
1 cup lemon juice
3 to 4 cups cold water (to dilute)

METHOD
  • Combine sugar and 1 cup water in a small saucepan
  • Stir over medium high heat until sugar dissolves
  • Set aside to cool
  • Juice the lemons (between 4 and 6 to make 1 cup of juice)
  • Combine lemons with cooled sugar syrup
  • Pour into a juice jug (or whatever you want to use)
  • Add the extra water to dilute
  • Chill (the juice AND you, cos you're done!)

See what I mean?!  So freaking easy.  I have learned one thing though.  It's REALLY hard to take a nice photo of a drink.

As for taste, well I added only 3 cups water to dilute, and it was super strong.  But really, really, REALLY nice.  I love it.  I can't wait to make more of it for summer! :D

Recipe Inspiration
http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/perfect_lemonade/

No comments:

Post a Comment