Question: What is one of the best food combinations ever?
Apple and cinnamon of course!
I wanted some healthy muffins, and I love apple sooooooooo here's the natural progression from that haha :) Googled a recipe as usual!
1 & 1/4 cups (whole wheat) flour
1 & 1/4 cups oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cardamom (I didn't have any of this so I left it out, no biggie!)
1/8 teaspoon ginger (I didn't have any dried, so I used 1/2 tsp crushed ginger)
1 cup (unsweetened) apple sauce
1/2 cup light coconut milk with 1/2 the juice of a lemon
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 small apples, chopped into small pieces
raw sugar & nutmeg to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 190 deg C
- If not using silicone muffin mould, then grease the tin or line it with non stick paper
- In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cardamom and ginger (if it's dried)
- In a medium bowl, combine apple sauce, coconut milk, sugar, oil, egg and vanilla extract (and ginger, if using crushed)
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in apple sauce mixture
- Stir until just moist
- Fold in chopped apples
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 to 3/4 full
- Sprinkle raw sugar and a light dusting of nutmeg on top of the muffins
- Bake for 16-18 minutes
- Makes about 12 muffins
These muffins came out nicely, they were moist and lovely, but didn't taste as strongly as they smelled. They smelled like apple crumble dessert when they were baking!
Also, I wasn't fond of the plethora of ingredients! I didn't even have some of them (who knows, maybe that affected it...), but there were just so many things to put in it! As you know, I'm all for simplicity!