24 March 2012

Curried Lentil Soup

Ok so I've been slack since being back at university and haven't had much of a chance to try my recipes, but I did manage to make this one a few weeks ago!  I just haven't had time to sit down and write about it until now!!  Plus I'm a procrastinator haha.  Took my time.


Anyway, I have a thing with lentils at the moment.  Curry and lentils, just so satisfying.  Love it.  I wanted to try this soup, and we'd had a leek in the fridge to use for a wee while (something we don't normally have in our vege drawer) so I made this on a Monday (I don't have class on a Monday, so I'm able to cook because I'm home!) for meat-less Monday!

INGREDIENT
4 cups water
2 chicken stock cubes
2 medium potatoes
1 can diced tomatoes (14 oz.)
1 & 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
2 medium/large carrots
1 large onion
1 big leek
1 cup dried lentil
2 garlic cloves
4 teaspoons curry powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
dried thyme
pepper
salt

METHOD
 
  • Wash and finely mince the leek (cut into quarters lengthwise, fan the leaves apart and run under water to clean)
  • Peel and finely mince carrots and onions.  Grate the garlic cloves. 
  • Heat 2 tbsp oil and cook onions and carrots for about 5 mins
  • Meanwhile you've got 5 min to peel and mince the potatoes
  • Once the onions are 'sweating', add the leek and garlic and cook for 3 more minutes
  • Add 4 tsp curry powder, 1/2 tsp ground cumin, and 1 & 1/2 tbsp tomato paste, and cook for 1 more minute
  • Add the cubed potatoes, lentils, diced tomatoes, water, chicken stock cubes, a good pinch of salt and pepper, and some dried thyme to taste.
  • Stir well and bring to the boil
  • Simmer over low heat for 45 minutes until lentils and vegetables are well done
  • Check the seasoning, and serve!
This soup was delicious and warm and comforting.  Loved it!  Served it with roti, and it was just like being back in Malaysia.  Will definitely be making this one again!!!! :)


Recipe Inspiration: http://www.kayotic.nl/blog/curried-lentil-soup

No comments:

Post a Comment