14 May 2012

Couscous

Well, couscous is something I've wanted to try for a long time, and bought some a while ago, yet never got around to cooking it.  Tonight I decided to give it a go.  We were having lamb chops for dinner, and steamed veges, so I thought couscous would be nice instead of potato.  Here's what I did:

INGREDIENTS
1 cup couscous (dry)
1 & 1/4 cup vegetable stock (made up with boiling water)
1/2 tsp salt
couple of pinches of dried thyme
1/2 tsp onion salt (optional)

METHOD
  • Put couscous, salt and thyme in a bowl that has a lid
  • Make up the vegetable stock with boiling water
  • Add the onion salt to the stock
  • Pour the stock over the couscous, and stir with a fork briefly
  • Place the lid over the couscous, and DO NOT remove! 
  • Ignore and leave for 5 minutes
  • Remove lid
  • Fluff with a fork
  • Serve immediately!
This was remarkably tasty, and not in the least as bland as I originally thought.  Thyme always goes beautifully with lamb, so it was a great compliment to the chops, and it wasn't heavy.  1 cup of dry couscous made enough for the three of us to have on the side, with plenty left over!  Certainly don't need to use 2 cups of dry couscous like the recipe I referred to said to (altho, I ended up experimenting and doing my own thing instead!)

I was worried it would be gluggy and unappetising, as I have heard couscous can go horribly wrong.  However, this came out well, fluffy and light.  Will definitely make this again!  (It's SO CHEAP too!!!  WIN!)


No comments:

Post a Comment