7 February 2012

Banana Cupcakes

Mum bought some bananas (the teeny tiny ones!) in the groceries the other day, and they had a green tinge, which was fine cos that means they'll last a while.  But I swear, by the next day, they had ripened and were starting to go brown!!!  WHAT?!  That's a bit fast.  Of course, straight away Dad goes "BANANA CAKE!" and looks at me hopefully.

Today I finally got around to using up the bananas.  The browner, the better, so it didn't matter that it's been like 4 days since the original suggestion haha!  This recipe is one I've used my whole life, and it's in my "favourite recipe" book for keeps.  It's actually for cake, but I decided to make muffins, because our house is divided as to what the best icing is.  Mum and I love lemon, Dad loves chocolate.  So by making muffins, I could ice them half and half, and then everyone would be happy! :)

INGREDIENTS
125g butter
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
1 & 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
2 mashed bananas (or 3, if they are small)
1 & 1/2 tsp baking powder

METHOD
  • Cream butter and sugar
  • Add egg and beat well
  • Dissolve soda in warm milk and mix in
  • Add mashed bananas
  • Lastly, fold in flour and baking powder
  • Spoon into muffin trays (or if you'd rather make a cake, you can do cake tin)
  • Bake until golden in a moderate oven (180 deg C)
TIP: To know if your muffins (or cakes) are ready, poke a tooth pick (or a long skewer) into the middle of one - if it comes back out clean, they're ready.  If the mix is still goopy and stuck to the toothpick, they need a little longer.
 





Ok, for some reason it won't let me upload the close up picture of a chocolate iced muffin properly - it keeps turning it sideways!  Grrrr.  But you get the idea.

Icing

For the chocolate icing, I just used a small knob of melted butter, 1 tbsp of cocoa powder, and then added icing sugar until the icing had the thick consistency that wouldn't run off the cupcake.

For the lemon icing, I used another small knob of melted butter, some lemon juice (real lemon juice, none of that lemon essence crap!), and then added icing sugar until the icing was thick enough not to slide off again.

EASY PEASY! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment