2 February 2012

Tuna Rosti

Currently, I am stuck at home.  I have been ill, and am not strong enough to work, but I AM strong enough to explore the food world.  Something I struggle with every day is thinking of something to cook for one, for lunch.  You see, I'm not a sandwich person.  Never really have been.  Sandwiches to me are SO boring.  If I'm at home, I won't make a sandwich.  Sandwiches are what you take out for lunch, and even then, it's a stretch for me to do that.  I'm not a big fan of ham, relish and salad (can't think of anything worse to be honest), and if I ever do have sandwiches, it's shredded rotisserie chicken and mayonnaise (and maybe a lettuce leaf if I'm bothered).  

I do like toasted sandwiches though.  When I was working, I'd have cheese and chicken sandwiches, which I'd toast in the grill in the staff room (I was so grateful for that thing!  All staff rooms should have a toasted sandwich maker!) and I'd add BBQ sauce to it (yes, I kept a bottle of BBQ sauce in the fridge at my work haha!).  But I'm getting side tracked.  This post isn't about sandwiches.  It's about lunch dilemmas, which I seem to always have.

I saw this recipe for tuna rosti on television and it said "Perfect for lunches!" which 100% caught my attention.  I like tuna (within reason, I'm not a major fish fan) and I ADORE potato.  Hash browns are one of my favourite things.  So this sounded like a good recipe to try, and it didn't look like it made too much, and the lady on the TV even said "leftovers are delicious cold" too!  WIN!

So here is my variation on the recipe, because I didn't have some of what the original recipe said, and I don't like lemon zest (so I ignored that bit haha).

Makes about 4 rostis!

INGREDIENTS
1 medium potato, peeled and grated (to yield 1 cup)
1 egg, beaten
1 little can (95g) of tuna - any flavour - I used "tomato & basil" for this one
pinch of salt and pepper

METHOD
  • Squeeze out as much of the excess liquid from the grated potato (to stop it being too sloppy) using a clean tea towel or paper towel, or just your hands, and place in a mixing bowl.
  • Mix in the beaten egg, salt and pepper (to taste) and any dried herbs you might want.  I added extra dried basil, and a bit of oregano.
  • Mix in the can of tuna carefully, removing any excess liquid beforehand (because sometimes the tuna can be a bit watery, which you want to avoid).
  • Heat a little oil in a frying pan.
  • Divide the tuna mixture into 4 and spoon into the pan.
  • Cook on medium-low heat for 5 mins each side, or until potato is cooked and golden.
The original recipe says to garnish with a lemon wedge, but I served mine with a bit of mild tomato salsa and sour cream which was delicious.  Tomato relish would also go nicely, or any sauce you have in the fridge!

So this recipe is a success for me, because it's easy, and using stuff we've often got in our pantry, and it's perfect lunch for one, and the leftovers were gladly taken by my dad today!

Recipe Inspiration: http://www.foodinaminute.co.nz/Recipes/Tuna-Rosti

No comments:

Post a Comment