2 February 2012

Devilled Sausages

Somehow, we ended up with an excess of sausages in our freezer, needing to be used.  I was like "Hmmm.  Sausages.  That's a bit boring." but then I remembered that there was the possibility of devilled sausages.  The day I decided to make this started out as overcast and miserable looking, perfect weather for turning the oven on for comfort food.  (Alas, the day warmed up and by the time we ate dinner, the house was like a sauna!).

Anyway, I didn't have a "go-to" family recipe for devilled sausages (nor did I have a packet of recipe base seasoning that I've used before).  I knew I liked the recipe because of the tart tangyness so decided to just google and see what it came up with.  I picked the recipe that looked the easiest (which was the first one...score!), with the simplest ingredients that I knew we had, and the cool thing about devilled sausages is that it uses all pantry staples - so you can make it from scratch even with bare looking cupboards!  Win!  And lordy, it was FAST to prepare. 

The best part is, it tasted AMAZING, if I do say so myself.  My parents and I were fighting over who would get to eat the leftovers for lunch the next couple of days.  This is a recipe that is also being honoured by going straight in my "Favourite Recipes" book.  It's a new family favourite, and I was so proud to have made it from scratch. :)

INGREDIENTS
600g sausages (pork or chicken, the original recipe suggests)
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 clove garlic, crushed (or pre-crushed garlic, whatever you've got!)
2 onions, thinly sliced
1 large apple, thinly sliced (I used braeburn - nice and tangy)
1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup BBQ flavoured sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons malt vinegar

METHOD
  • Preheat the oven to 180 deg C (aka moderate oven).
  • Cook the sausages (if they are pre-cooked sausages, you can skip that), cool, and chop into pieces.  Place in a casserole dish.
  • Heat oil in a frypan, and fry the garlic, onions and apple until soft.
  • Mix the soft garlic, onions and apple with the can of tomatoes.
  • Add tomato sauce, BBQ sauce, malt vinegar and brown sugar, and stir thoroughly.
  • Pour the sauce over the sausages.
  • Cover casserole and cook for 25 - 30 minutes.
  • Serve with mashed potato or rice and steamed veges.

I'm not normally a huge fan of chunky tomato, and even when it's cooked in sauce I'll often pull bits aside, but this sauce was so amazingly delicious, I ate every single tomatoey morsel on my plate.

So, in advance, I shall say, you are WELCOME.  This recipe, so easy, mind blowing.  YUM.

Recipe inspiration: http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/Devilled-Sausages-L5797.html

No comments:

Post a Comment