28 February 2012

Creamy Garlic Pasta

This was one of the first recipes I found to try when I decided to embark on my culinary adventure, because I was looking for something easy and different to do with pasta that didn't involve tomato (as all my pasta sauces seem to!), and I was thrilled to find this creamy sauce which doesn't need cream (because we don't keep cream on hand all the time!).  However, it's taken me this long to feel like making it.  I don't know why, I just haven't felt like it up until now.  

Today I was keen for a big bowl of fettucine, and for once we had fresh garlic on hand (rather than crushed garlic from a jar!) so I got to use that too.  Mum said she's kinda over curry (I haven't made it that much so far!) so didn't want leftovers from last nights spinach, kumara and lentil dahl.  So I decided that being a chilly pre-Autumn day, comforting creamy pasta would be a winner for lunch! :)  And it was SO EASY!!!



INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons butter/oil/margarine
2 garlic cloved, minced
2 tablespoons flour
3/4 cup chicken stock
3/4 cup milk
2 teaspoons parsley flakes
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese

1 pack of pasta, cooked according to directions - I used about 500g (dry) of fettucine

grated cheese to top

METHOD
  • Cook pasta according to packet directions (takes about the same amount of time as cooking the sauce!)
  • Melt butter and add garlic in a medium saucepan and cook on medium for 1 minute
  • Add flour and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly
  • Stir in stock and milk, and cook stirring frequently until sauce boils and thickens
  • Add parsley, salt, pepper and cheese
  • Stir until cheese is melted
  • Toss hot pasta with sauce and serve immediately, topping with more cheese if desired
This turned out really well, if not a little dry (possibly because I used almost twice as much pasta as the original recipe suggested - oops!  If you prefer your pasta saucy, either halve the pasta, or double the sauce ingredients!).  But it was nice, not too creamy, not heavy, and packing a mean garlic punch!!!  I will definitely make this again, although in future I will possibly make my own adjustments to it, and maybe throw in some onions and vegetables for a more balanced meal.

Recipe Inspiration: http://www.food.com/recipe/creamy-garlic-penne-pasta-43023

No comments:

Post a Comment