8 February 2012

Coconut, Chilli & Lime Pork Sitr-Fry

Ok so this isn't really a recipe, but more just a blog post about what I cooked for dinner tonight.  I had some diced pork, and I had no idea how I was going to cook it.  Then I remembered I had some "Watties Wok Creations" stir-fry sauce sachets.  Yes, the stir-fry sauce was a ready-made packet one.  But I added extra garlic (because garlic is the best) and extra chilli sauce for more kick.

I wanted to rave about vegetables, which is the reason I chose to cook a stir-fry.  I'm on a fresh fruit and vegetable kick at the moment.  I can't seem to get enough.  So in my stir-fry, I had two onions, a carrot chopped into sticks, thin slivers of capsicum (aka bell peppers), mung beans, butter beans, broccoli, and peas.  Out of all of those, only the peas and butter beans came from the freezer.  So much crunch.  So many good vegetables.  So fresh.  Ahhhhhh!




I served it on basmati rice (which I have discovered is much nicer if you rinse the rice before you cook it) cooked with the absorption method.  It's such an easy way to cook rice.

INGREDIENTS
1 cup uncooked rice
drizzle of oil
1 tsp salt
1 & 3/4 cup water

METHOD
  • Put rice in a saucepan and drizzle oil over (about 1 tbsp)
  • Shake the pot to cover all the rice with oil, and sprinkle salt over
  • Add water, cover and put on stove top
  • Bring to a boil
  • When bubbling, stir with a spoon (to stop rice sticking to the bottom of the pan), replace the lid, and turn the heat off
  • LEAVE IT!  DON'T TAKE THE LID OFF, and ignore it for about half an hour
  • When ready to serve rice, remove lid and fluff with a fork

Easy peasy!  But I cannot stress enough, that you just leave the rice alone once you turn off the heat.  Gas cooking is amazing for this, as the heat stops immediately.  And don't remove the lid!!!!!!  That's how it cooks.  :)  Rice always turns out perfectly for me with this method.  No need for a special rice cooker appliance (always makes me laugh when people buy those)!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds delicious <3
    http://www.cupcakesandtreacle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete