So after the somewhat disappointing results of my last lemon poppyseed muffin attempt a few blog posts ago (disappointing to me - it just wasn't lemony enough for my taste), I was on the lookout for a different lemon poppyseed muffin recipe to try, preferably using MORE lemon juice (and optional on the zest, since I don't like zest).
Cue our family friend Cathryn and her own favourite lemon poppyseed muffin recipe! :) This is one she makes for her sons, using fresh lemons from her tree. Today I gave it a go myself, because I needed to make something to take with me to a lunch tomorrow.
This recipe makes A LOT of mixture, which is good, it made A LOT of muffins! :) So I can take some to lunch and my parents won't feel like they're missing out on muffins haha!
1 cup trim milk
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
100g melted butter (or 100mL oil)
2 tablespoons poppyseeds
3 heaped teaspoons baking powder
1 cup white sugar
1 & 1/2 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 180 deg C
- Sift flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl
- Stir in sugar and poppyseeds
- Quickly mix in milk, eggs, butter (oil), and lemon juice
- Stir until just mixed - it is supposed to be very runny, so don't panic
- Fill muffin pans 3/4 full - don't overfill
- Bake until a toothpick poked into the centre of a muffin comes out clean (starting to go golden)
These muffins came out lovely! I really like how moist they were, but alas, still not as lemony as the Starbucks ones that I have put up on a pedestal. Hmm. Maybe I will have to do what I've been trying to avoid, and put zest in it. -_-